Skip to main content

Table 1 The general characteristics of Aleppo and Latakia governorates

From: A qualitative study exploring barriers to adequate uptake of antenatal care in pre-conflict Syria: low cost interventions are needed to address disparities in antenatal care

  Aleppo Latakia
Location Northern Syria Western Syria
Land area 1,850,000 ha 230,000 ha
Population 5,927,000 1,229,000
Number of districts 8 4
Number of villages 1453 432
Religion 90% are Muslims; the majority are Sunnis, mostly Arabs, followed by Kurds. The rest (10%) are Christians and Armenians Mostly Alawites with some Sunni Muslims and Greek Orthodox Christians